From Nóirín Plunkett <noi...@apache.org>
Subject Re: LDAP custom-asf schema - family name?
Date Thu, 09 Jun 2011 09:14:07 GMT
On Thu, Jun 9, 2011 at 11:03 AM, sebb <sebbaz@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 9 June 2011 09:44, Nóirín Plunkett <noirin@apache.org> wrote:
>
>> I think it's best to stick to "legal name" and "public name", and
>> simply do a string sort on public name.
>
> However our web-pages are currently mainly sorted on "last name",
> rather than full name.

You're already suggesting a system that would allow us to change the
way we do sorting (currently, manually by people adding their entries
where they think it's appropriate).

I'm just suggesting that we change to doing something that's nice and simple :-)

> There must be some way to indicate which part of a name is to be used
> first when sorting.

Usually it's known as "sort name by", and it won't give you a list
that necessarily "looks" sorted.

Using culturally appropriate sorting for the set of names I gave
before would give you

Paul Fenwick, Hugo van der Merwe, Van Riper, Christian van den Bosch

Add in a patronymic, Björk Gunnarsdóttir (ok, I had to go to
friends-of-friends for that, but still), you get

Björk Gunnarsdóttir, Paul Fenwick, Hugo van der Merwe, Van Riper,
Christian van den Bosch

And that's without trying to decide how to alphabetise accented
characters, some of which have different rules depending on the
language :-)

> It does not have to be called family name.

I think you 'misunderestimate' the problem. Doing a string sort on the
public name doesn't make it go away, but it's the most easily
automatable, "least wrong" option I can come up with.

Noirin