From sebb <seb...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: LDAP custom-asf schema - family name?
Date Thu, 09 Jun 2011 09:31:23 GMT
On 9 June 2011 10:14, Nóirín Plunkett <noirin@apache.org> wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 9, 2011 at 11:03 AM, sebb <sebbaz@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On 9 June 2011 09:44, Nóirín Plunkett <noirin@apache.org> wrote:
>>
>>> I think it's best to stick to "legal name" and "public name", and
>>> simply do a string sort on public name.
>>
>> However our web-pages are currently mainly sorted on "last name",
>> rather than full name.
>
> You're already suggesting a system that would allow us to change the
> way we do sorting (currently, manually by people adding their entries
> where they think it's appropriate).
>
> I'm just suggesting that we change to doing something that's nice and simple :-)
>
>> There must be some way to indicate which part of a name is to be used
>> first when sorting.
>
> Usually it's known as "sort name by", and it won't give you a list
> that necessarily "looks" sorted.
>
> Using culturally appropriate sorting for the set of names I gave
> before would give you
>
> Paul Fenwick, Hugo van der Merwe, Van Riper, Christian van den Bosch
>
> Add in a patronymic, Björk Gunnarsdóttir (ok, I had to go to
> friends-of-friends for that, but still), you get
>
> Björk Gunnarsdóttir, Paul Fenwick, Hugo van der Merwe, Van Riper,
> Christian van den Bosch
>
> And that's without trying to decide how to alphabetise accented
> characters, some of which have different rules depending on the
> language :-)
>
>> It does not have to be called family name.
>
> I think you 'misunderestimate' the problem. Doing a string sort on the
> public name doesn't make it go away, but it's the most easily
> automatable, "least wrong" option I can come up with.

Perhaps, but there's already an automated script (Perl) that checks
the sort order within icla.txt.

It assumes sorting by last part of name, with some special case overrides.
It also handles accents reasonably well.

The sorting does not have to be perfect, but knowing the primary
sort-key would help a lot.

It could be expressed as the number of space-separated words counting
from the right of the public name; default 1.