From Jukka Zitting <jukka.zitt...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: lucene.net.git is point to the wrong/old repo.
Date Mon, 02 May 2011 18:12:20 GMT
Hi,

On Mon, May 2, 2011 at 6:10 PM, Owen O'Malley <omalley@apache.org> wrote:
> Can you elaborate on what the scripts can handle and what they can't? Hadoop is
> considering moving our subversion trees around and would really like to avoid
> breaking the linkage between subversion and git.

The script [1] for updating a git-svn mirror to match a new location
in svn assumes that the whole codebase (including all branches and
tags) was moved in a single "svn move" command. You give it the
relevant revision number and the old and new path of the codebase.
Then the script does some hardcore git-svn magic to remap all the
branches and tags to follow the new svn location.

I'll tip my hat (and offer a beer :-) to anyone who can patch the
script to handle also more complex svn moves, but until that it's best
if just a single svn move is used when relocating codebases from one
svn location to another. If a more complex rearrangement
(remove/rename branches/tags, merge/split codebases, etc.) is needed,
it's best to do that only after the initial move has been made instead
of trying to selectively move parts from the old location to the new
one.

[1] https://svn.apache.org/repos/infra/infrastructure/trunk/projects/git/bin/move-svn-project.sh

BR,

Jukka Zitting