From Guillaume Nodet <gno...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Current use of GitHub
Date Fri, 15 Apr 2011 06:52:59 GMT
Since the git mirrors are available at the ASF, I'm now exclusively
using git-svn
unless I need to do a release in which case
I need to revert back to svn for maven to be able to do the release.
For branches and patches, it's easy to add remote a git remote repository to
your local repo pointing to a fork, so that you can cherry-pick or merge from a
fork on github and then svn dcommit into the svn tree at the ASF.
Git really consider the git-svn branch as a real branch, so there's no
problem here.

Also, in Karaf for example, we're maintaining bug fix branches.  Those
are stored
in svn as real branches, but also available in git-svn as git branches, so that
cherry-picking and backporting fixes is way easier than using pure svn.

However, not having a pure git master repository has some limitations,
mostly the fact
that we can't really use a branch-per-bug workflow such as the one described at
Being able to support that would be a big win for us.

--
Cheers,
Guillaume Nodet

Connect at CamelOne May 24-26