From Paul Davis <paul.joseph.da...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Current use of GitHub
Date Mon, 04 Apr 2011 16:19:40 GMT
On Sun, Apr 3, 2011 at 2:45 AM, Gav... <gavin@16degrees.com.au> wrote:
> I'm trying to understand the _current_ workflows of those ASF committers
> using Git and how the ASF GitHub mirrors tie into that - if at all.
>
> A fair few projects requested ASF git mirrors and also requested mirrors of
> that on GitHub (that 2nd request is now standard with the 1st)
>
> So far , from projects I've browsed on GitHub, I see a few forks here and
> there and a few Pull requests here and there.
> That is where it gets fuzzy for me. Obviously, no-one can actually pull in
> those pull requests into the Apache/$project repo mirror, so
> how are committers applying those pull requests? Are they pulling them into
> their own copies of the mirror, converting them into a patch
> that svn understands and then applying, if so, how? If not, how else?
>
> Also, apart from Github, how else are Git only users providing patches to
> projects, which patch programs are in use, and of those which
> are most used by those projects/committers that need to apply them.
>
> For those of you that are committers and have direct access to svn, but are
> preferring to use Git before then committing your work to svn,
> what is your workflow and tools used (whether or not it involves GitHub)
>
> No deviating into what could happen or what would be a good idea please yet,
> this is just a survey on what people are currently actually
> doing to incorporate Git into their workflows and how we then get those
> applied.
>
> Thanks
>
> Gav...

Currently my Git workflow is entirely divorced from SVN. All of my
coding is done using Git clones and when I need to commit something to
SVN it always comes via `patch -p1 < something.patch` regardless if I
wrote it or it's a patch from Jira. I learned pretty quick to check
the top of the patch to see if it needs -p0 vs -p1. Though come to
think of it, I can't remember the last time I saw an SVN diff attached
in Jira.

As to pull requests, pretty much the only thing that committers can't
do is close them (or get notified about their creation). Even with my
non-ASF projects I still have to pull the submitters changes down,
apply them and then push back to the central repo. There's nothing an
ASF committer needs other than having a properly configured git-svn.