From Dmitriy Lyubimov <dlie...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Current use of GitHub
Date Mon, 04 Apr 2011 17:15:32 GMT
> At the moment I have given up on providing a publicly accessible look into  what I'm
doing until I commit to svn.  AFAICT github is useless for any project undergoing development
since as soon as you do git svn rebase locally to pull in svn commits you can no longer push
your changes to an existing github branch.  If I'm missing something I'd love to know how
to make this work.

Yes you can do it

just add github remote.

say you are on a trunk and your 'origin' points to apache git.
then

git remote add github git@github.com:<your-user>/<your-github-repo>

and then you can push your branches to github e.g.
git push github trunk:trunk

What i usually do is i create issues branches locally and set them
track the branch in github (since i never can push them into ASF) such
as

git checkout -b MAHOUT-555  (creates local brunch based on current
branch, such as trunk)
git push -u github MAHOUT-555:MAHOUT-555

now the issue branch is set up to track github's brunch
so you've done something there (or somebody done something there) then
assuming you want to commit it by merging -- you can merge directly to
github branch by

git fetch github (fetch latest github branch snapshots)
git checkout trunk (-- make sure we are on local trunk)
git svn rebase (-- rewind trunk to latest in svn)

git merge --squash github/MAHOUT-555 (-- merge github branch changes
but don't commit and squash history so it looks like a single commit )

//... resolve conflicts if necessary
git commit -m "MAHOUT-555" (--format squashed history as single commit)

git svn dcommit (-- push into svn) .

now you have squashed issue commited to your local trunk

> -----
>
> git svn rebase is a major pain.  I don't really understand why but it looks to me like
I have to keep resolving the same merge conflicts.  I'm also not completely convinced that
all my local work gets preserved through the merge conflict resolution.

> I used to use svn branches for ongoing work but with the svn version that tracks merges
I've given up on this because of the enormous volume of noise in an svn merge commit.