From Dmitriy Lyubimov <dlyubi...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Current use of GitHub
Date Sun, 03 Apr 2011 07:51:14 GMT
I am using github.

But there are different scenarious here.

Scenario #1: you fork ASF git (or github mirror) and create private
branches to work. Then you create a patch and apply as usuall (using
patch -p1) to your git-svn branch. from there you could then use
git-svn dcommit.

The problem with that approach is that you can't merge into git-svn
branch as it happens that git-svn actually creates different hashes in
commit tree than apache's git mirror. So those histories cannot be
3-way merged and commits can't be squashed as it would naturally occur
. In addition, since there's a delay between git mirror and actual
snapshot, there's always a danger that somebody commits and git
doesn't see it and your patch would go stale until you can merge it
properly when new commit finally goes thru git replica.

So it's unnatural. so i switched to
Scenario 2:
instead of forking apache git, i push my git-svn branch directly into
github and then follow everything i said in scenario #2 except i can
now merge-squash directly into git-svn branch after work is done and i
can rebase my git-svn snapshot at any moment. I still have to publish
git diff to jira so others can review it though.

If several people need to work on the same issue then they can do pull
requests to my issues and then i would be able to incorporate their
work into final squash-merge and git-svn dcommit. Although to tell you
the truth I never collaborated on the same patch with anyone yet. Our
project is fairly too sparsely populated for that so far.

-dmitriy