From Dmitriy Lyubimov <dlie...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Current use of GitHub
Date Mon, 04 Apr 2011 17:22:33 GMT
Also, if you keep resolving same conflicts during svn rebase, i think
something isn't right. I so far did not incur that so much . But my
github use is fairly recent (no more than several months). Although i
have been using git in general (and git-svn in particular) for several
years now.

On Mon, Apr 4, 2011 at 10:01 AM, David Jencks <david_jencks@yahoo.com> wrote:
> I've been using git for all my non-trivial apache work for several months now.  I've
only used it for projects I'm a committer on.

> At the moment I have given up on providing a publicly accessible look into  what I'm
doing until I commit to svn.  AFAICT github is useless for any project undergoing development
since as soon as you do git svn rebase locally to pull in svn commits you can no longer push
your changes to an existing github branch.  If I'm missing something I'd love to know how
to make this work.

> so..
>
> I start by cloning the apache git mirror (following the instructions at http://wiki.apache.org/general/GitAtApache)
>
> I keep one or more branches locally for the different bits of the project I'm working
on.

> Periodically I do git svn rebase to pull in svn commits
>
> If there are enough changes that I'm worried about "my house burned down" I do git bundle
** and put the result on people.apache.org

> When I'm ready I do git svn dcommit
>
> -----
>
> git svn rebase is a major pain.  I don't really understand why but it looks to me like
I have to keep resolving the same merge conflicts.  I'm also not completely convinced that
all my local work gets preserved through the merge conflict resolution.

> I used to use svn branches for ongoing work but with the svn version that tracks merges
I've given up on this because of the enormous volume of noise in an svn merge commit.