From David Jencks <david_jen...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: Current use of GitHub
Date Mon, 04 Apr 2011 17:01:06 GMT
I've been using git for all my non-trivial apache work for several months now.  I've only used
it for projects I'm a committer on.

At the moment I have given up on providing a publicly accessible look into  what I'm doing
until I commit to svn.  AFAICT github is useless for any project undergoing development since
as soon as you do git svn rebase locally to pull in svn commits you can no longer push your
changes to an existing github branch.  If I'm missing something I'd love to know how to make
this work.

so..

I start by cloning the apache git mirror (following the instructions at http://wiki.apache.org/general/GitAtApache)

I keep one or more branches locally for the different bits of the project I'm working on.

Periodically I do git svn rebase to pull in svn commits

If there are enough changes that I'm worried about "my house burned down" I do git bundle
** and put the result on people.apache.org

When I'm ready I do git svn dcommit

-----

git svn rebase is a major pain.  I don't really understand why but it looks to me like I have
to keep resolving the same merge conflicts.  I'm also not completely convinced that all my
local work gets preserved through the merge conflict resolution.

I used to use svn branches for ongoing work but with the svn version that tracks merges I've
given up on this because of the enormous volume of noise in an svn merge commit.

thanks
david jencks