From Kristian Rosenvold <kristian.rosenv...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Follow up questions for git-svn users
Date Fri, 29 Apr 2011 05:34:11 GMT
Den 29.04.2011 05:53, skrev Brian M Dube:
> I think my setup is standard, from what I gleaned from the GitHub
> thread (although github is not part of my workflow). My trunk branch
> is remote-tracking, where I use git svn rebase and git svn dcommit.
>
> My first question is about keeping topic branches around and updated
> for multiple uses. Perhaps this is a bad idea, but it seems like it
> should work. I create my topic branch topic1 with trunk as the
> starting point. I do the work, committing along the way, and merge
> topic1 into trunk when I'm ready for git svn dcommit. Now I'd like to
> continue working from topic1, especially if I squashed the merge to
> trunk, so that I have access to the history lost by the squash. But
> when I use git svn rebase to update trunk, a merge from trunk back
> into topic1 makes my history look wrong in gitk.
>
> What I'm trying to do is get the changes that were not part of my own
> commit (anything I pulled down with git svn rebase) back into my topic
> branch. It seems like it should be a normal fast-forward, but it's
> recursive and the history doesn't look right. I abandon the branch at
> this point and start a new one for further work.

This is just the classic rebasing game as far as I can see. If you have
related topic brances you just have to rebase all of them at once and
keep their existing relationships. It's described under "RECOVERING FROM
UPSTREAM REBASE" in man git-rebase

> The second question, what are you doing about svn properties? If my
> commits add any files, I then have to switch to my pure svn checkout
> and set svn:eol-style and commit from svn.

git-svn uses svn through the standard svn configuration. As long as you
keep the svn setup correct, git-svn will use that.

Kristian