From "Gav..." <ga...@16degrees.com.au>
Subject Current use of GitHub
Date Sun, 03 Apr 2011 06:45:10 GMT
I'm trying to understand the _current_ workflows of those ASF committers
using Git and how the ASF GitHub mirrors tie into that - if at all.

A fair few projects requested ASF git mirrors and also requested mirrors of
that on GitHub (that 2nd request is now standard with the 1st)

So far , from projects I've browsed on GitHub, I see a few forks here and
there and a few Pull requests here and there.
That is where it gets fuzzy for me. Obviously, no-one can actually pull in
those pull requests into the Apache/$project repo mirror, so
how are committers applying those pull requests? Are they pulling them into
their own copies of the mirror, converting them into a patch
that svn understands and then applying, if so, how? If not, how else?

Also, apart from Github, how else are Git only users providing patches to
projects, which patch programs are in use, and of those which
are most used by those projects/committers that need to apply them.

For those of you that are committers and have direct access to svn, but are
preferring to use Git before then committing your work to svn,
what is your workflow and tools used (whether or not it involves GitHub)

No deviating into what could happen or what would be a good idea please yet,
this is just a survey on what people are currently actually
doing to incorporate Git into their workflows and how we then get those
applied.

Thanks

Gav...