From Santiago Gala <santiago.g...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Blog post on Gerrit (GIT review tool)
Date Thu, 10 Feb 2011 20:42:42 GMT
On Thu, Feb 10, 2011 at 8:19 PM, Paul Davis <paul.joseph.davis@gmail.com>wrote:

> [...]
> >> #asfinfra on freenode or just start committing to that repository (any
> >> committer has write access for the time being).
> >>
> >> [1] http://git-wip-us.apache.org/git?p=asfgit-admin.git;a=summary
> >> [2]
> >>
> https://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/IssueNavigator.jspa?reset=true&jqlQu
> >>
> ery=project+%3D+INFRA+AND+component+%3D+Git+AND+status+%3D+Open+ORDER+BY+pr
> >> iority+DESC&mode=hide
> > Hi Paul,
> >
> > I feel bad, very bad. That being said, I try to be as objective and
> friendly
> > as possible.
> >
> > On 2010/11/25 you wrote[1] , that you'd like to start hacking on GIT and
> test
> > it out on couchdb. Three days later I responded[2] to you and on the
> list,
> > that I'd strongly propose to evaluate Gerrit before any time is wasted
> hacking
> > together some home grown scripts. I also offered my help.
> >
> > Nevertheless you did not care to answer me or give any further hint that
> you'd
> > indeed start hacking.
> >
> > The only indication that you indeed might have worked on something were
> your
> > comments in the jira issues. It was my failure that I did not watch them.
> > However you also did not care to assigne any of these issues to you.
> >
> > Could we please try to start over again and make a concept in an open
> process?
> > I believe you're wasting your time. Even worse we might end up with your
> hand-
> > wired GIT setup while IMHO an almost perfect solution is turn-key ready.
> >
> > I hope you can understand my dissapointment and won't take this personal.
> >
> > [1] "Re: Git Tasks" on infra@a.o
> > [2] Gerrit over gitolite? was: Git Tasks
> >
> > Best regards,
> >
> > Thomas Koch, http://www.koch.ro
> >

> Don't be sad. Its just code.
>
> Apologies for not responding about trying out Gerrit but to be honest
> I don't really have much desire to administer or use it. If it becomes
> the one and only way to use Git at Apache then I'd probably put up
> with it much the same as I put up with Jira. Although, I would
> encourage others to set it up and evaluate it. There's no reason that
> we can't investigate multiple methods for using Git and see which
> solution looks like it'll be the best in terms of infrastructure
> support, user satisfaction, and compatibility with established
> processes (or worth changing existing processes).
>
> My opinion is that the most likely solution to using Git at ASF will
> treat it much the same as SVN. To that end I've been working on
> putting together the required code and configuration to make it
> possible to evaluate such a solution. At the beginning of my work I
> evaluated Gitosis and Gitolite but neither was close enough to
> fulfilling the requirements laid out by infra for a viable solution,

My opinion is the gerrit is one of the best ways to get low entry barriers
and open collaboration, around a repository. I have had a number of commits
into cyanogenmod, all via gerrit. I signed up a CLA via web, keep my own
repository and use "repo upload" for automatic push to gerrit.

OTOH I don't think git can be used "much the same" as svn. I would recommend
any people that has not used git deeply to avoid comparing it with
subversion until they have used it deeply during, say, one year. By using I
mean at least:
- one small standalone project, with several ongoing branches and changes
getting applied in subsets of those, during a significant time.
- one long lived branch of a small size collective project, where the main
developer takes some of our patches and we take patches from him and from
other developers, some of which can later be merged into the main line ( for
instance I am stariing to work like this with bottle.py again for this
year's course: https://github.com/sgala/bottle/network   )
- "casual" contributions to a big  project, such as my small patches and
translations for cyanogenmod ( see for example
http://review.cyanogenmod.com/#dashboard,225 )

I'm not sure which are the current infrastructure requirements, but I think
that no svn-like git workflow will be a significant advantage about plain
old svn.

git is very disruptive for the old hierarchical SCM, and I think that theASF
is actually loosing steam in this process...

Regards
Santiago