From Paul Davis <paul.joseph.da...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Blog post on Gerrit (GIT review tool)
Date Thu, 10 Feb 2011 19:19:17 GMT
On Thu, Feb 10, 2011 at 11:39 AM, Thomas Koch <thomas@koch.ro> wrote:
> Paul Davis:
>> On Thu, Feb 10, 2011 at 4:44 AM, Thomas Koch <thomas@koch.ro> wrote:
>> > http://alblue.bandlem.com/2011/02/someday.html
>> >
>> > Very nice writeup of the advantages of Gerrit and integration with
>> > Jenkins.
>> >
>> > Gerrit is a code review plattform on top of GIT developed by Google for
>> > the Android project and in use at the Eclipse Foundation.
>> >
>> > How do you think in general about GIT for the ASF? It puzzles me, that
>> > there doesn't seem to be much of an interest to get official GIT
>> > repositories despite the pain of working with Subversion. The discussion
>> > on infra@a.o is stale for more then 2 months now.
>> >
>> > Best regards,
>> >
>> > Thomas Koch, http://www.koch.ro
>>
>> I've been working on various scripts and configurations to get a more
>> traditional setup over the last couple months. There current bits are
>> at [1]. So far I have most of the major requirements [2] handled and
>> working. The last bit of code that I need to write is the logging of
>> commits so that we have a history of who pushed what.
>>
>> After that my next steps are to start documenting the code and
>> configuration and then write up documentation on committer and
>> non-committer workflows.
>>
>> If anyone feels like hacking or writing feel free to ping me in
>> #asfinfra on freenode or just start committing to that repository (any
>> committer has write access for the time being).
>>
>> [1] http://git-wip-us.apache.org/git?p=asfgit-admin.git;a=summary
>> [2]
>> https://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/IssueNavigator.jspa?reset=true&jqlQu
>> ery=project+%3D+INFRA+AND+component+%3D+Git+AND+status+%3D+Open+ORDER+BY+pr
>> iority+DESC&mode=hide
> Hi Paul,
>
> I feel bad, very bad. That being said, I try to be as objective and friendly
> as possible.
>
> On 2010/11/25 you wrote[1] , that you'd like to start hacking on GIT and test
> it out on couchdb. Three days later I responded[2] to you and on the list,
> that I'd strongly propose to evaluate Gerrit before any time is wasted hacking
> together some home grown scripts. I also offered my help.
>
> Nevertheless you did not care to answer me or give any further hint that you'd
> indeed start hacking.
>
> The only indication that you indeed might have worked on something were your
> comments in the jira issues. It was my failure that I did not watch them.
> However you also did not care to assigne any of these issues to you.
>
> Could we please try to start over again and make a concept in an open process?
> I believe you're wasting your time. Even worse we might end up with your hand-
> wired GIT setup while IMHO an almost perfect solution is turn-key ready.
>
> I hope you can understand my dissapointment and won't take this personal.
>
> [1] "Re: Git Tasks" on infra@a.o
> [2] Gerrit over gitolite? was: Git Tasks
>
> Best regards,
>
> Thomas Koch, http://www.koch.ro

Don't be sad. Its just code.

Apologies for not responding about trying out Gerrit but to be honest
I don't really have much desire to administer or use it. If it becomes
the one and only way to use Git at Apache then I'd probably put up
with it much the same as I put up with Jira. Although, I would
encourage others to set it up and evaluate it. There's no reason that
we can't investigate multiple methods for using Git and see which
solution looks like it'll be the best in terms of infrastructure
support, user satisfaction, and compatibility with established
processes (or worth changing existing processes).

My opinion is that the most likely solution to using Git at ASF will
treat it much the same as SVN. To that end I've been working on
putting together the required code and configuration to make it
possible to evaluate such a solution. At the beginning of my work I
evaluated Gitosis and Gitolite but neither was close enough to
fulfilling the requirements laid out by infra for a viable solution,
hence the code I've been hacking on.

If it turns out that the final solution for Git at ASF doesn't use
anything I've worked on, I've still won, because we'll be able to use
Git at ASF.  I'm not taking anything personally, but I can't fathom
why you're disappointed. If you think that my solution is terrible and
there's a much better one out there, I very much encourage you to
convince everyone of that.

HTH,
Paul Davis