From Thomas Koch <tho...@koch.ro>
Subject Re: Blog post on Gerrit (GIT review tool)
Date Thu, 10 Feb 2011 16:39:11 GMT
Paul Davis:
> On Thu, Feb 10, 2011 at 4:44 AM, Thomas Koch <thomas@koch.ro> wrote:
> > http://alblue.bandlem.com/2011/02/someday.html
> >
> > Very nice writeup of the advantages of Gerrit and integration with
> > Jenkins.
> >
> > Gerrit is a code review plattform on top of GIT developed by Google for
> > the Android project and in use at the Eclipse Foundation.
> >
> > How do you think in general about GIT for the ASF? It puzzles me, that
> > there doesn't seem to be much of an interest to get official GIT
> > repositories despite the pain of working with Subversion. The discussion
> > on infra@a.o is stale for more then 2 months now.
> >
> > Best regards,
> >
> > Thomas Koch, http://www.koch.ro
>
> I've been working on various scripts and configurations to get a more
> traditional setup over the last couple months. There current bits are
> at [1]. So far I have most of the major requirements [2] handled and
> working. The last bit of code that I need to write is the logging of
> commits so that we have a history of who pushed what.
>
> After that my next steps are to start documenting the code and
> configuration and then write up documentation on committer and
> non-committer workflows.
>
> If anyone feels like hacking or writing feel free to ping me in
> #asfinfra on freenode or just start committing to that repository (any
> committer has write access for the time being).
>
> [1] http://git-wip-us.apache.org/git?p=asfgit-admin.git;a=summary
> [2]
> https://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/IssueNavigator.jspa?reset=true&jqlQu
> ery=project+%3D+INFRA+AND+component+%3D+Git+AND+status+%3D+Open+ORDER+BY+pr
> iority+DESC&mode=hide
Hi Paul,

I feel bad, very bad. That being said, I try to be as objective and friendly
as possible.

On 2010/11/25 you wrote[1] , that you'd like to start hacking on GIT and test
it out on couchdb. Three days later I responded[2] to you and on the list,
that I'd strongly propose to evaluate Gerrit before any time is wasted hacking
together some home grown scripts. I also offered my help.

Nevertheless you did not care to answer me or give any further hint that you'd
indeed start hacking.

The only indication that you indeed might have worked on something were your
comments in the jira issues. It was my failure that I did not watch them.
However you also did not care to assigne any of these issues to you.

Could we please try to start over again and make a concept in an open process?
I believe you're wasting your time. Even worse we might end up with your hand-
wired GIT setup while IMHO an almost perfect solution is turn-key ready.

I hope you can understand my dissapointment and won't take this personal.

[1] "Re: Git Tasks" on infra@a.o
[2] Gerrit over gitolite? was: Git Tasks

Best regards,

Thomas Koch, http://www.koch.ro