From Olivier Gaudin <olivier.gau...@sonarsource.com>
Subject Re: Sonar at Apache
Date Mon, 06 Dec 2010 23:15:45 GMT
Hi Mark,

Isn't it already set up for most Apache projects at [1]? This got mentioned
> on the Tomcat dev list just last week.

This is true that there is a serie of Apache projects in Nemo, most of them
being at our initiative. The issue is mainly that it means we have to look
after the build of the projects which I believe is not the right thing to do
: not only can it sometimes be consuming for us but also we are pretty
powerless when facing an issue. IMO, the build should be the responsibility
of the dev team and when the build is complete I am happy to support the
recipient into which results are gonna be injected to.

With my Tomcat hat on, I'd suggest the following:

- provide an obvious contact for projects to request being added / removed /
> alter config (I'd love to see separate Tomcat 5.5.x, 6.0.x and 7.0.x entries
> but I can't see an obvious way to request this)

- e-mail community@a.o and let the communities know it is available

I understand where you are coming from but again I do not think this is
efficient as this is all gonna be manual. Take for example Tomcat, I am
happy to setup your 3 versions. Now, can you please provide me with the SCM
for the 3 repos ? And as I happen to know that Tomcat is not built with
Maven, I will also ask you to provide me with the sources directories for
the 3 version for Sonar to be able to run proper analysis. Let now say that
you would also like to get the results of unit tests in Sonar, I will ask
you how to build Tomcat and run the unit tests and where the results are
stored...

With my infra hat on, I'd just mention to make sure however you are

pulling the data from svn that it does not put an unnecessary load on

the svn servers. I suspect this is already taken care of because it it

wasn't, you would have been blocked already.

We have doing this very cautiously to avoid being blocked. We run update
only, once a week.

If you do not think that there is an other possible way on this, I am happy
to give it a go to see where we get with proposed solution.

Cheers

Olivier Gaudin
SonarSource
+41 (0)79 366 6208