From Jeremy Thomerson <jer...@thomersonfamily.com>
Subject Re: Full support for Git at Apache, a dangerously indigo plan.
Date Thu, 04 Nov 2010 04:16:57 GMT
On Wed, Nov 3, 2010 at 11:13 PM, Paul Querna <paul@querna.org> wrote:

> On Thu, Nov 4, 2010 at 12:09 AM, Jeremy Thomerson
> <jeremy@thomersonfamily.com> wrote:
> > On Wed, Nov 3, 2010 at 9:08 AM, Paul Querna <paul@querna.org> wrote:
> >
> >>  Goal: Indigo is my color today. <http://indigo.bikeshed.com/>  We
> >> will be providing full r/w git support for projects.  It isn't a
> >> trivial project, both for communities and for infrastructure.
> >>

> > This is great news!  I unfortunately missed ApacheCon (and subsequently,
> > involvement in or listening in on these discussions) this year because of
> > client requirements.  So, I have two follow-up questions:
> >
> > 1 -  originally when I heard of full git read/write support, the
> requirement
> > was going to be that all git commits were still going to be pushed into
> SVN
> > as the "authoritative" backend.  Is that the case, or will there be
> > "authoritative" git repos?
>
> Correct, this is authoritative repositories in Git.

Awesome.  I'll help as much as time allows.  Requesting git support is one
of the things that drove me to start lurking in infra stuff, because I knew
I couldn't request it and expect someone else to do all the work.  I want to
contribute.

> > 2 - I had starting working on scripts to convert our read-only git access
> > into svnpubsub-based git syncing, and when I had that ready, I was going
> > use it to try to get GitHub permission for us to push our git repos to
> them
> > rather than them pulling (since they sometimes fall days out of sync.  Is
> > this still useful?  I suppose it could be for making projects that will
> stay
> > svn-based available in read-only git format.  But I want to be sure
> before I
> > continue.
>
> Yes, this is still useful.  That is a very good improvement regardless.
>
> I suspect on the Github side, we should just request to take over the
> github.com/apache account, and turn it into a proper organization ran
> by the infrastructure team, so we can do the post-commit syncing, both
> for svn and git repositories.

Okay, I'll continue with that, although I've been swamped with
Wicket-related consulting, and not had much spare time lately.  Maybe in
November.

Jeremy