From Paul Querna <p...@querna.org>
Subject Re: Paid staff for infrastructure? was: Git Tasks
Date Sun, 28 Nov 2010 18:50:18 GMT
On Sat, Nov 27, 2010 at 11:44 PM, Thomas Koch <thomas@koch.ro> wrote:
> Paul Querna:
>> For the foreseeable future we have no dedicated resources that can be
>> put to work on the various full git support tasks.
> Hi,
>
> I don't know much about the inner workings of the ASF yet, so please excuse my
> naive question: Is there any paid staff to do infrastructure work, if so, how
> many?
> I've only contributed a few patches to one project by now, but I already got
> the impression, that there is a lot of room for improvements in
> infrastructure:
>
> - The build servers seems to have issues quite frequently
> - The GIT migration
> - There could be much more done in automated QA for java projects
>
> It seems kind of ridiculous, that projects like HTTPD, Hadoop, Cassandra,
> Lucene and many others are used and developed by the biggest companies around,
> but that the development infrastructure for these projects is in a rather
> sorry state. Shouldn't it be rather easy for the ASF to raise some money for
> infrastructure?

Direct link for members:
<https://svn.apache.org/repos/private/foundation/Finances/2010-budget.txt>

For everyone else, search for "Attachment AE" in these board minutes:
<http://apache.org/foundation/records/minutes/2010/board_minutes_2010_04_21.txt>

(As a side note, is there any reason we don't publish the budget more
directly under public records?)

For FY2010, the ASF is budgeting $252,216.00 on infrastructure, about
45% of total expenses.  Before a few years ago, the infrastructure
truly was run on a "shoe string" budget.  Even having a real budget is
a relatively new thing.

Of that 250k for Infrastructure, about 160k is for staff, and the vast
majority of the remaining is for machine replacement and a few small
expansions.  One of the primary goals this year is focused on
replacing the 3-4 year old deprecated Sun hardware from the
infrastructure.

The ASF contracts two full time system administrators, Joe and Gavin.
Their primary goals are about "keeping the lights on" for core
services, like the website, account creation, etc.  Gavin was added a
little more than a year ago, and is focusing on more build-related
services.  They are responsible for supporting the ~2600 committers.
Things like password resets that volunteers tended to not get around
to for weeks get relatively quick responses.

Everyone else involved in the ASF infrastructure is a volunteer.  We
always want more volunteers, so please, contribute :-)

People might disagree with the priorities, but you can take that up
with Phillip (the VP of Infra). I believe that focusing on keeping
core services online is a good thing for the paid staff to do.
Expecting them to do all their normal tasks, which this year includes
rebuilding/upgrading more than 30% of our servers, and work on 'new'
projects like full git support is not reasonable.

Yes, the ASF hosts many different important projects, but the ASF's
funding and operational model is very different from say, the Eclipse
foundation, which has 15 odd FT staff:
<http://www.eclipse.org/org/foundation/staff.php>.  (I couldn't find
their budget online, it would be interesting to see what they are
spending on infrastructure).

HTH,

Paul