From Jeremy Thomerson <jer...@thomersonfamily.com>
Subject Re: Full support for Git at Apache, a dangerously indigo plan.
Date Thu, 04 Nov 2010 04:04:44 GMT
On Wed, Nov 3, 2010 at 10:25 PM, Paul Querna <paul@querna.org> wrote:

> For us Group Authorization is actually mostly going to be on a
> whole-repository basis.  I don't think we intend to block individual
> commits based on the contents of the commits -- other than possibly
> issues with merge commits that haven't really been discussed in depth
> yet.

While I whole-heartedly agree with this whole-repo access for a committer on
a TLP, some other projects do not.  Those projects may not be something to
copy, but I do not know what the official stance is.  The instance I'm
thinking of is Hadoop, where they limited committers to certain subsections
of code.  I'm fairly sure I remember reading that they limited committers to
sub-project sections of code, and I'm pretty sure that I also heard someone
imply (although I'm not sure it was technically true) that new committers
were limited to some "probationary" branch.  I don't agree with the latter,
but I think that introducing committers to a subproject might be a request
we get, so we could potentially have path-based (or even branch-based) auth
requirements.

Jeremy