From Paul Querna <p...@querna.org>
Subject Re: Full support for Git at Apache, a dangerously indigo plan.
Date Thu, 04 Nov 2010 04:13:57 GMT
On Thu, Nov 4, 2010 at 12:09 AM, Jeremy Thomerson
<jeremy@thomersonfamily.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 3, 2010 at 9:08 AM, Paul Querna <paul@querna.org> wrote:
>
>>  Goal: Indigo is my color today. <http://indigo.bikeshed.com/>  We
>> will be providing full r/w git support for projects.  It isn't a
>> trivial project, both for communities and for infrastructure.
>>

> This is great news!  I unfortunately missed ApacheCon (and subsequently,
> involvement in or listening in on these discussions) this year because of
> client requirements.  So, I have two follow-up questions:
>
> 1 -  originally when I heard of full git read/write support, the requirement
> was going to be that all git commits were still going to be pushed into SVN
> as the "authoritative" backend.  Is that the case, or will there be
> "authoritative" git repos?

Correct, this is authoritative repositories in Git.

> 2 - I had starting working on scripts to convert our read-only git access
> into svnpubsub-based git syncing, and when I had that ready, I was going to
> use it to try to get GitHub permission for us to push our git repos to them
> rather than them pulling (since they sometimes fall days out of sync.  Is
> this still useful?  I suppose it could be for making projects that will stay
> svn-based available in read-only git format.  But I want to be sure before I
> continue.

Yes, this is still useful.  That is a very good improvement regardless.

I suspect on the Github side, we should just request to take over the
github.com/apache account, and turn it into a proper organization ran
by the infrastructure team, so we can do the post-commit syncing, both
for svn and git repositories.