From Marvin Humphrey <mar...@eventful.com>
Subject Re: CMS HowTo
Date Tue, 23 Nov 2010 19:21:00 GMT
sebb:

 > Have you read:
 >
 > http://www.apache.org/dev/cms.html#usage

Yes.  That section consists of a single link, which points at this
page:

   "Updating the Infrastructure web site"
   http://www.apache.org/dev/infra-site.html

It is somewhat more helpful than the bulk of the primary CMS page in
that the content is more germane.  However...

   * The page is specific to updating the *Infrastructure* web site.
   * It details how to update an existing site, not how to begin one.

Thus, that documentation does not yet meet the needs of our podling
in terms of illustrating how to get started with the CMS.

At the bottom of that page, there are "Notes for documentation
review".  This is one of the bullet points:

   * Explanations for committers and contributors, especially for new
     committers, so that PMCs and Infra can easily refer to online
     documents to answer the recurring FAQs.

While I had scanned this page prior to starting this thread, I admit
that I had missed that section.  Please correct me if I am wrong, but
the implication seems to be that such committer-focused documentation
does not yet exist.

Is that something I can help with?  I'm a half-decent Perl hacker, my
documentation skills don't suck and I'm in a good position to write a
HowTo because I'm not yet burdened by the curse of knowledge.
However, if it wouldn't be convenient for you to make use of such
volunteer time right now, we'll just muddle through as best we can,
get our website done, and move on to other tasks.  Or we'll postpone
migrating to the CMS until a later date.

Best,

Marvin Humphrey