From Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Full support for Git at Apache, a dangerously indigo plan.
Date Thu, 04 Nov 2010 10:48:13 GMT
On 04/11/2010 00:13, Paul Querna wrote:
> On Thu, Nov 4, 2010 at 12:09 AM, Jeremy Thomerson
>> 1 -  originally when I heard of full git read/write support, the requirement
>> was going to be that all git commits were still going to be pushed into SVN
>> as the "authoritative" backend.  Is that the case, or will there be
>> "authoritative" git repos?
>
> Correct, this is authoritative repositories in Git.

A question for the Git gurus.

There are many projects at Apache that have dependencies on other ASF
projects. In most cases these dependencies are on the other project's
release artifacts so the choice of VCS has no impact. However, there are
some cases where a binary dependency is not the best solution and one
project uses a copy of the source from another project. In this case the
choice of VCS may have an impact.

One of the advantages of the current "everything in a single svn
repository" is that if one project takes a copy of some (or all) of the
source code from another project then a) the copy retains the history
and b) the copy can be updated with changes from the original with a
simple "svn merge ...". Both retaining the history and the ease of
keeping them in sync is important.

I appreciate that this might not happen often, but how would this work
in terms of retaining history and keeping the copy in sync) if:
- the source and destination projects are both in separate git repositories?
- the source project is in svn but the destination project is in git?
- the source project is in git but the destination project is in svn?

Cheers,

Mark