From Thomas Koch <tho...@koch.ro>
Subject Re: Gerrit over gitolite? was: Git Tasks
Date Sun, 28 Nov 2010 21:51:46 GMT
Paul Querna:
> I'm not sure this has been clear, but right now I don't think we will
> use either.
>
> For the ASF needs a primarily http-driven git environment, with many
> custom hooks.  gitolite isn't really meant for what the ASF wants from
> git repositories, I mentioned it mostly as an interesting related
> implementation that we should at the last be mindful of.
Hi Paul,

could you please elaborate on this? It seems like a huge mistake to me to not
use gerrit and instead rebuild most of the functionality of gerrit with home
grown hook scripts.

From your list of issues:

> Task: pre-receive hook: Authorization.  Based on groups in LDAP,
> restrict write access to members of the correct project. We will not
> have path based authorization under, only whole project.
LDAP based authorization is a standard feature of Gerrit.

>   Task: pre-receive hook: Do not allow history rewriting / git push --force.
Just don't give anybody this access right in Gerrit. Gerrit's provides three
levels of push branch rights:
Update Branch, Create Branch, Force Push Branch & Delete Branch

>   Task: post-update hook: Logging of commit.  Log both the Apache
> committer, and the 'git' committer. Figure out how to make this
> information useful.
Standard Feature of Gerrit.

>   Task: post-receive hook: E-Mail notification.  We have a traditional
> dependence on 'good' commit emails.  We need a very good mailer, as
> SvnMailer handles many cases like large commits, weird charactersets,
> etc, that most git based mailers don't even approach.
Users in gerrit can subscribe for each project on New Changes, All Comments
and Submitted Changes. Notifications can also be selected only for specific
branches of a project.

>   Task: post-receive hook: CIA Notification.  <http://cia.vc/>
Don't know.

>   Task: post-receive hook: SvnPubSub Notification.  I think we should
> add support to SvnPubSub for git repositories. Maybe rename SvnPubSub
> -> VcPubSub too.
Don't know.

>   Task: post-receive hook: Slave Mirroring.  Every commit will be
> mirrored to a second ASF machine, just like we do with Subversion.
> This should just be a git push --mirror to a remote repository, but it
> needs testing.
Replication is a standard feature of Gerrit to provide a hot fail over master
server or mirrors for load balancing. I don't know, whether master-master
replication is possible with Gerrit.

>   Task: post-receive hook: Github mirroring.  After each push, every
> repository will be mirrored to github.
Ok, trivial hook, not in Gerrit.

>   Task: Find web based view of Git repositories.  Gitweb or cgit or
> viewvc.  Evaluate and configure one of them.
Web-Git integration build in in Gerrit.

It really seems obvious to me, that Gerrit would save a lot of work compared
with a home grown solution. Also the creation of Git repositories can be
managed via gerrit.

Best regards,

Thomas Koch, http://www.koch.ro