From Thomas Koch <tho...@koch.ro>
Subject Gerrit over gitolite? was: Git Tasks
Date Sun, 28 Nov 2010 07:59:30 GMT
Paul Davis:
> I can start by trying to get some of these tasks working locally, but
> is there a place I should be working on ASF servers as I go through
> these tasks? The bits dealing with Gitolite might be better with a
> public instance to work with.
Hi,

the messages about GIT on this list gave me the impression, that official
apache people would start working on it so that I as an outsider wouldn't need
to worry about it. - This was a misunderstanding on my side, I assume.

I started to learn Gerrit and wrote a message proposing it[1]. However nobody
responded to it.

I'd strongly suggest evaluating gerrit before too much effort is spend with
gitolite. AFAIK gitolite does support only the most basic needs of the ASF
while gerrit may be a turn-key ready solution.

I offered my help in the mentioned email, but I hesitated to continue working
on the task without any answer.

[1] 11/4 "Use Gerrit? was: Full support for Git at Apache, a dangerously
indigo plan." http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/www-infrastructure-
dev/201011.mbox/%3C201011041001.45223.thomas@koch.ro%3E

Best regards,

Thomas Koch, http://www.koch.ro