From Thomas Koch <tho...@koch.ro>
Subject Paid staff for infrastructure? was: Git Tasks
Date Sun, 28 Nov 2010 07:44:30 GMT
Paul Querna:
> For the foreseeable future we have no dedicated resources that can be
> put to work on the various full git support tasks.
Hi,

I don't know much about the inner workings of the ASF yet, so please excuse my
naive question: Is there any paid staff to do infrastructure work, if so, how
many?
I've only contributed a few patches to one project by now, but I already got
the impression, that there is a lot of room for improvements in
infrastructure:

- The build servers seems to have issues quite frequently
- The GIT migration
- There could be much more done in automated QA for java projects

It seems kind of ridiculous, that projects like HTTPD, Hadoop, Cassandra,
Lucene and many others are used and developed by the biggest companies around,
but that the development infrastructure for these projects is in a rather
sorry state. Shouldn't it be rather easy for the ASF to raise some money for
infrastructure?

Once again, no pun intended, just curiousity.

Best regards,

Thomas Koch, http://www.koch.ro