From "Roy T. Fielding" <field...@gbiv.com>
Subject Re: Labs, was Re: New lab, using Git
Date Fri, 18 Jun 2010 22:03:20 GMT
On Jun 18, 2010, at 1:18 PM, Philip M. Gollucci wrote:

> On 06/18/10 20:06, Roy T. Fielding wrote:
>> They don't need to adhere to release policies because they don't
>> do releases.  Incubation is frigging irrelevant to content that
>> has been contributed under CLA and contributing to a lab is
>> certainly covered under that agreement.  It makes no difference
>> whether that contribution comes in the form of Git or Subversion or
>> Jira or Bugzilla or Mail or written down on a gigantic role of
>> toilet paper and thrown in the general direction of ApacheCon.
>>
>> Please, we have enough policies already.  If we need any more then
>> they will be imposed by the Labs PMC, not by infrastructure.
>> Infra only needs to step in if our assets are being misused or
>> there is some harm being caused to other projects.
>>
> I'm sure pquerna is going to reply.  Unfortunately I agree with points
> both of you have made.  I'd like to suggest board@ be cc'ed before it
> degenerates.

The Labs PMC is responsible for making these policies
within its own scope, not the board.  If the board has any
input they can make it here, just like me.

Likewise, if you want to make an infra policy that everyone
using apache.org resources has to do so through subversion,
then feel free to announce it to all PMCs.

If there is a good reason for infra to prevent a legitimate
use of our resources, such as if it would cause an unreasonable
addition to our sysadmin time, then by all means say so.
Jukka's proposal did not seem to require anything other than
his own volunteer time and a bit of disk space.

Alternatively, if Jukka's proposal sounds a bit too much
like alternative infrastructure and not really a lab, then
say that to the Labs PMC (i.e., "it's out of your scope and
into mine") and then give Jukka the space to do his experiment
as an infra-dev project instead.

I don't care which choice is taken, so long as it is done
for coherent reasons and without stepping on the right of PMCs
to govern their own projects.

....Roy