From "Philip M. Gollucci" <pgollu...@p6m7g8.com>
Subject Re: New lab, using Git
Date Fri, 18 Jun 2010 18:25:31 GMT

On 06/18/10 17:36, Roy T. Fielding wrote:
> On Jun 18, 2010, at 9:41 AM, Philip M. Gollucci wrote:

>> On 06/18/10 12:19, Jukka Zitting wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> Since there were no objections so far, I'll move forward on this over
>>> the next few days.
>>>
>>> I'll use labs@ for topics related to the proposed Oak lab itself, and
>>> infra-dev@ for stuff related to the required Gerrit setup.
>>>
>>> BR,
>>>
>> Jukka, sorry, I've not been paying enough attention due to real life.
>>
>> <Infra VP Hat>
>> There are several issues [1] with what you propose.  Some of them we can
>> fix others we can't.  Please hold off for now until we discuss this some
>> more.  I think at this point a better venue would be infra-private until
>> we bring the results back to the public eye.
>>
>> 1.  You're running a production service, and of all services Version
>> 	control in a ZONE.
>> 2.  Nobody knows how this works other then you.
>> 3.  Just b/c its a lab doesn't mean its free of the ASF wide policy
>> 	guidelines.
>> </Infra VP Hat>
>
> On the contrary, because it is a lab it is not able to do releases
> and is not an Apache project.  It is therefore outside any of our
> policies regarding Apache releases, including use of subversion.
> I don't think there should be any more restrictions placed on labs
> than we would place on what committers do with their home directory
> on people.a.o.
While I agree with Roy, I wasn't aware this was the case of labs.  It is
a PMC afterall.

Given the no release and it will end up in svn at incubation if it gets
that far bullet, I don't particularly have any objection to this.  As
for the community expirement portion I do NOT agree its a good test.
Labs are small and typically 1-2 people. I don't think any reasonable
conclusions of how it will affect ASF as a whole or any one TLP can be
drawn either good or bad.

What I would like to see happen is the git stuff moved off zones and
SunOS to a real server esp since all zones will eventually die this
year. I would like to see lots more documentation and at least 1 person
on root@ familiar with this and able to help maintain it.

VP Apache Infrastructure; Member, Apache Software Foundation
Committer,                        FreeBSD Foundation
Consultant,                       P6M7G8 Inc.
Sr. System Admin,                 Ridecharge Inc.

Work like you don't need the money,
love like you'll never get hurt,
and dance like nobody's watching.