From Werner Punz <werner.p...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: git svn & merging
Date Thu, 25 Mar 2010 09:29:07 GMT
Am 05.01.10 10:10, schrieb Mark Struberg:
> The problem with dcommit is the time-span acausality which is possible with git.
> Have you tried
> git merge --squash?
> This will package all the diffs from foo into a commit on top of your HEAD.
> Maybe you can also do a manual git-rebase of the changes to your HEAD, but that would
be much more work.

> In either way you will loose the trackback to foo :(
>
> LieGrue,
> strub

Just my 2c git svn is more or less a semi working bridge, which bridges
two systems almost non bridgable in their details.
I have used git-svn for the last half year against Apache repos and I am
still undecided whether it is worth it, on one hand I love
the local commits which I then can sync into one dcommit against the
server (which I would hate to lose) on the other hand git-svn has its
fair share of problems
(especially if you do more complicated stuff against the svn side+the
sync time on the apache svn servers which need a commit delay period
between two revision commits)
and the lack of svn external support currently lets me rethink my usage
strategy.
Unfortunately HGs SVN support is even worse, and
native support of HG or Git is probably out of scope for now (even if it
would be supported many projects probably would not migrate)

Kind of a sad situation of having those wonderful systems and not being
able to use them to their full extent.

Werner