From Jeff Turner <je...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Question about JIRA
Date Thu, 28 Jan 2010 16:31:43 GMT
On Thu, Jan 28, 2010 at 10:33:53AM +0100, Ɓukasz Dywicki wrote:
> Dear Infrastructure team,
> I am small contributor of ASF projects - ServiceMix, Camel and ActiveMQ. I
> would ask about ASF JIRA installations.
>
> I am owner of small consulting company in Poland and some big client asked
> me for supporting JIRA with up to 9k users. I am not really familiar with
> big installations because my company uses starter licenses with user limit.

You should have no problem with 9k users.

> The biggest JIRA setup I know is ASF. You have a lot of users, a lot of
> projects and huge load.
> I found that you are running JIRA on dell hardware, but I would ask about
> something more. I wouldn't publish these information anywhere or use them
> for attacking, hacking and other bad things.
> 1. Witch database do you use?

PostgreSQL 8.3

> 2. Is yours installations are load balanced?

No.

> 3. Witch server runtime do you use?

Not sure what you mean. Ubuntu, with the latest 1.6.0 JDK.

> 4. Is yours installation clustered?

No.

> 6. Do you have any disk array for storage?

2 mirrored 1Tb SATA drives, I believe.

> 7. Number of users/issues/projects.

44758 users, 136k issues, 293 projects.

> 8. Number of concurrent requests

No idea, but about 1.5 hits per second (excluding .gif/.png/.js/.css).

> 9. Do you have some common/standard problems with yours JIRA's?

Java apps exposed to the web are quite high-maintenance. JVMs provide no way to limit resources
per user, so load spikes
or unusual usage patterns results in freezes or OutOfMemoryErrors, requiring sysadmin intervention.

Jeff