From Brett Porter <br...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Looking forward on VMs, Zones and Jails
Date Fri, 02 Oct 2009 01:20:16 GMT

On 01/10/2009, at 9:00 AM, Paul Querna wrote:

> Proposed Policy:
>  - Full VMs, with whole OS stack, are to be allocated for specific
> purposes, and must be kept up to date by the owning group in regards
> to security and operating system patches.  Unless there is a specific
> need for a specific operating system, we will direct all requests to
> use FreeBSD Jails.

+1 in general

I expect the zones are running a lot of Java things. I heard a lot of
murmurs in the past about how well Java works on FreeBSD - is that
likely to be an issue now?

On the build front, VMs for the different OSes will still likely be
needed. It'd be good to go for some standard versions and maintenance
guides here so there is some consistency.

- Brett