From Kevin Menard <nirvd...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Writable git repositories
Date Fri, 09 Oct 2009 15:04:32 GMT
Hi Tony,

On Fri, Oct 9, 2009 at 9:29 AM, Tony Stevenson <tony@pc-tony.com> wrote:

> Kevin,  many folks have already tried to strike up the band, and see if they
> can introduce another VCS, predominantly git.  However we, in the infra
> team, only want to support on canonical VCS system, at the moment that is
> SVN.  The last migration from CVS to SVN was before my time, but from what I
> have heard it wasn't without it it's problems.

I can empathize with the views of the infra team.  If I were you I
wouldn't want to be supporting additional VCSs either.  Especially one
that's a radical departure architecturally from what you've already
built around.  Having said that, I'm not sure what considerations are
made when deciding what to support and what not to support.
Ostensibly, the role of the infrastructure (the actual system, not the
people) is to facilitate an optimal open source development
environment.  Realistically, there are consolations to be made and
resources to allocate.

I'm actually intrigued now as how to effect change in such a large
organization.  It obviously doesn't make sense for developers to bark
orders at infra.  And it obviously doesn't make sense for infra to
build systems that don't meet the needs of developers.  Please note
I'm talking abstractly here and am not criticizing the quality or
merit of what we have in place today, and I do realize that there is
an overlap between the set of developers and set of infra people.

> In all honesty I cannot see a move away from subversion anytime soon.  If
> you look at the roadmap for subversion, some of the sought after features
> are penned for inclusion.

Fair enough and that could be the reason not to make a large infra
change now.  It just creates a weird system where some teams are not
as effective as they otherwise could be.  Granted, they knowingly
accepted that when they came under the Apache umbrella.

--
Kevin