From Kevin Menard <nirvd...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Writable git repositories
Date Fri, 09 Oct 2009 13:14:50 GMT
On Fri, Oct 9, 2009 at 8:43 AM, Tony Stevenson <tony@pc-tony.com> wrote:

> Honestly, right now, none.  We only support SVN as the canonical VCS in use
> at the ASF.  If you want to use git-svn, then I'm sorry you'll need to work
> around the mirroring lag.

Hi Tony,

Thanks for the response.

So, the way I've worked around on the mirroring lag is largely to not
commit anything unless I have 15 min. to sit around and go through a
dcommit/rebase cycle.  Which means I only begrudgingly push stuff
maybe once a week.  The way I've worked around the remote branch issue
is to push the code to a non-ASF repo and then bring it back into
trunk when I can get to the git-svn loop.

Either behavior should probably be considered unacceptable for an ASF
committer and it's not something I'm proud of doing.  But, that's the
reality of the situation.

By the time I got involved with the ASF, everything had been migrated
over to SVN already, so I didn't get to see the process for that VCS
migration.  I have seen various discussion over the past few years on
the community list about supporting other systems, but no formal
movement to do so.  So, what's the appropriate way to lobby for
supporting additional VCSs?  Obviously what I'd like to do is strike a
balance between having the best tools available for a team while not
being a resource drain on the infrastructure team.

--
Thanks,
Kevin