From "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>
Subject Re: Writable git repositories
Date Sat, 10 Oct 2009 21:30:55 GMT
Upayavira wrote:
> Producing software is what the ASF is about. Where we put the code we
> write is kinda important to the ASF.
>
> Our revision control system is therefore the most important piece of
> software that we deploy.
>
> Because if this, I'd even wonder whether it is up to infrastructure
> alone to decide upon the revision control system, it being so central to
> the entire organisation.

Here is the problem;

The foundation has always been responsible for the contents of the foundation's
revision control systems, and assumes that responsibility upon a commit.  The
notices of each of these commits are broadcast to the relevant projects, who
are responsible for catching any irregularities and repairing them.

The is substantially different from individual development forks over which
nobody has an oversight role.  E.g. my git tree is not your git tree, and if
the git forks all exist at the foundation, the foundation suddenly grows a huge
liability without a sufficient oversight process.

So not to badmouth git, but infra is responsible for ensuring that the technical
aspects of the foundation (infra managed, or not) satisfy the legal/procedural
responsibilities for this foundation to remain a 501(c)3 and mitigate the risks
appropriately.