From Graham Leggett <minf...@sharp.fm>
Subject Re: Writable git repositories
Date Fri, 09 Oct 2009 15:19:33 GMT
Kevin Menard wrote:

>> In all honesty I cannot see a move away from subversion anytime soon.  If
>> you look at the roadmap for subversion, some of the sought after features
>> are penned for inclusion.
>
> Fair enough and that could be the reason not to make a large infra
> change now.  It just creates a weird system where some teams are not
> as effective as they otherwise could be.  Granted, they knowingly
> accepted that when they came under the Apache umbrella.

Change brings instability, the question you need to ask is whether the
improved effectiveness of teams outweighs the instability brought about
by change.

When svn replaced cvs, there was a lot of instability, but in the long
term svn was being actively developed, while cvs was not, and the pain
came with significant long term gain.

In this case, it looks like the problems solved by git will soon be
solved by svn, which means we get the gain, but at the cost of waiting only.

So we suffer reduced effectiveness for a while, with the upside that
instability is avoided.

Regards,
Graham