From Tony Stevenson <t...@pc-tony.com>
Subject Re: Writable git repositories
Date Fri, 09 Oct 2009 13:29:21 GMT

On 9 Oct 2009, at 14:14, Kevin Menard wrote:

> On Fri, Oct 9, 2009 at 8:43 AM, Tony Stevenson <tony@pc-tony.com>
> wrote:
>
>> Honestly, right now, none.  We only support SVN as the canonical
>> VCS in use
>> at the ASF.  If you want to use git-svn, then I'm sorry you'll need
>> to work
>> around the mirroring lag.
>

> Hi Tony,
>
> Thanks for the response.
>
> So, the way I've worked around on the mirroring lag is largely to not
> commit anything unless I have 15 min. to sit around and go through a
> dcommit/rebase cycle.  Which means I only begrudgingly push stuff
> maybe once a week.  The way I've worked around the remote branch issue
> is to push the code to a non-ASF repo and then bring it back into
> trunk when I can get to the git-svn loop.
>
> Either behavior should probably be considered unacceptable for an ASF
> committer and it's not something I'm proud of doing.  But, that's the
> reality of the situation.
>
> By the time I got involved with the ASF, everything had been migrated
> over to SVN already, so I didn't get to see the process for that VCS
> migration.  I have seen various discussion over the past few years on
> the community list about supporting other systems, but no formal
> movement to do so.  So, what's the appropriate way to lobby for
> supporting additional VCSs?  Obviously what I'd like to do is strike a
> balance between having the best tools available for a team while not
> being a resource drain on the infrastructure team.

Kevin,  many folks have already tried to strike up the band, and see
if they can introduce another VCS, predominantly git.  However we, in
the infra team, only want to support on canonical VCS system, at the
moment that is SVN.  The last migration from CVS to SVN was before my
time, but from what I have heard it wasn't without it it's problems.

In all honesty I cannot see a move away from subversion anytime soon.
If you look at the roadmap for subversion, some of the sought after
features are penned for inclusion.

If you use git-svn, you should avoid pointing it as the EU mirror, as
this has to proxy your commit back to the US, then this is replayed
back to the EU mirror this is why you see errors, try pointing your
repo check out at https://svn-master to avoid succumbing to this issue.

Cheers,
Tony

Tony Stevenson