From Upayavira ...@odoko.co.uk>
Subject Re: Writable git repositories
Date Sat, 10 Oct 2009 21:07:58 GMT
Producing software is what the ASF is about. Where we put the code we
write is kinda important to the ASF.

Our revision control system is therefore the most important piece of
software that we deploy.

Because if this, I'd even wonder whether it is up to infrastructure
alone to decide upon the revision control system, it being so central to
the entire organisation.

The instability that is referred to isn't just in the effort in
converting the repo itself, it is also in getting 3000 committers plus
many contributors to learn a completely different tool, across many
different operating systems and environments, plus all of the addons,
scripts, tools, etc that folks use, and so on.

Maybe a switch to another revision control system is not impossible, but
it is the hardest possible technical change that the foundation could
consider.

Upayavira