From "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>
Subject Re: How to best store /dist/?
Date Fri, 04 Sep 2009 14:11:06 GMT
Paul Querna wrote:
> I would like to store all of `dist` in a subversion repository.
> Not the main subversion repository, but a new subversion repo dedicated to it.

E.g. svn.apache.org/repos/dist/ ? ok, one interesting side benefit...

> Random order thoughts on it:
>
>  - If it grew too big, we could always reset() the whole thing once a
> year with no harm.

Speaking of 'big'... archive.apache.org/dist/... ?  Since it's nothing to
svn cp the artifacts to archive and is zero copy, this seems like a win
if the size doesn't exceed svn and filesystem capacity.

>  - It would not need to be 'public' like the other repos, it is only
> for use of our own internal mirroring and auditing systems.

Why not allow external mirrors to access it (perhaps by specific
arrangement)?  They might appreciate the same benefits.  Of course we
could continue to offer rsync, etc.

>  - With SVN sparse/limited depth working copies, RMs don't need to
> checkout very much data at all to add/play with things.

For reference, at httpd and apr, the follow repositories are the /dist/...
contents, modulo the actual release artifacts.

  http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/apr/site/trunk/dist/
  http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/httpd/site/trunk/dist/

so in fact, we already essentially use this idea.