From Paul Querna <p...@querna.org>
Subject How to best store /dist/?
Date Fri, 04 Sep 2009 07:55:01 GMT
I would like to store all of `dist` in a subversion repository.

Not the main subversion repository, but a new subversion repo dedicated to it.

Random order thoughts on it:

 - This enables multi-datacenter mirroring of the root of our mirror
network by using SvnPubSub/SvnWcSub.

- Changes could be nearly instantly on all our root rsync mirrors,
rather than the extra 1-2 hour latency we have today.

 - Moves root of mirrors from minotaur to eris -- this would still be
a single point of failure for releasing, but if SVN is down on eris,
you shouldn't be doing a release anyways, releases are no longer tied
to a file system with 2200+ shell acounts.

 - If it grew too big, we could always reset() the whole thing once a
year with no harm.

 - To make it possible to audit and watch changes in /dist/

 - To also serve for /dev/dist/ for those projects that do that
currently, enabling projects like APR to hosted completely from
SvnWcSub[1]

 - It would not need to be 'public' like the other repos, it is only
for use of our own internal mirroring and auditing systems.

 - Normal committers would almost never need it, only release
managers, infrastructure people, and our mirroring system.

 - With SVN sparse/limited depth working copies, RMs don't need to
checkout very much data at all to add/play with things.

yes/no/maybe?

Thanks,

Paul

[1] -  SvnWcSub configuration for APR would be something like:
        svn co https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/apr/site/trunk/docs
/x1/www/apr.apache.org
        svn co https://svn.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/apr/
/x1/www/apr.apache.org/dev/dist
   With the following paths in config.json:
        ["/x1/www/apr.apache.org/",  "/x1/www/apr.apache.org/dev/dist"]