From Jukka Zitting <jukka.zitt...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: long term goal: reliable services for developers
Date Wed, 26 Aug 2009 08:23:56 GMT
Hi,

On Tue, Aug 25, 2009 at 6:30 PM, Martin Cooper<martinc@apache.org> wrote:
> I'm all for speedy and automated deployment, but I just want to throw
> in one thing that has been deemed important in previous discussions of
> this topic (of which there have been many, over the years). That is
> the notion of having a staging area for proofing prior to live
> deployment. Once the site is built, it should be made available
> somewhere so that it can be checked over by a real live person before
> going live. Obviously this is to prevent inadvertent live site
> screw-ups.

In all the CI site build setups I've created, the CI build simply runs
the same site build command that the committer uses locally to check
the generated site. And the CI builds will only deploy the site if the
build command finishes successfully, so if you're paranoid you could
even add explicit site tests to the process.

BR,

Jukka Zitting