From Jukka Zitting <jukka.zitt...@gmail.com>
Subject Site deployment from CI builds (Was: long term goal: reliable services for developers)
Date Tue, 25 Aug 2009 12:43:31 GMT
Hi,

On Tue, Aug 25, 2009 at 12:23 PM, Gavin<gavin@16degrees.com.au> wrote:
> Just to mention yet another option recently added, that is any projects that
> want to make use of Buildbot to automatically build their sites from svn can
> do so.

Also projects in Hudson are doing this, I've set up Tika, PDFBox and
Chemistry with such site deployments. However, see below.

> Jukka mentions CI making it easier for projects to deploy -- this can not
> be made any easier for the project, just ask and it shall be done! (It is not
> direct to eos/aurora yet but I think we can do that)

The current setup I have with Hudson is one where the CI job builds
the site and places it in $job/site. Then a cronjob under my account
on people.apache.org rsync's (with ssh public key authentication) the
content to /www. Finally the normal deployment process takes over.

This works fairly well in practice, but there are a few drawbacks that
I'd like to help address:

* The cronjob is under my personal account, which makes me a
bottleneck in case something goes wrong or needs tweaking. An infra-
or project-managed setup would be much nicer.

* Copying the content first to people.apache.org from there to the
public web servers adds extra delay to the site deployment process. In
the ideal case deployment would be automatically triggered by a
successful CI build. It would be really cool if site updates could be
available online in minutes instead of hours after a commit to site
sources.

BR,

Jukka Zitting