From chris <ch...@ia.gov>
Subject Re: long term goal: reliable services for developers
Date Wed, 26 Aug 2009 14:20:31 GMT
Daniel Kulp wrote:
> On Wed August 26 2009 9:39:22 am Justin Erenkrantz wrote:
>> 2009/8/26 Daniel Kulp <dkulp@apache.org>:
>>> Is the /www area on people.apache.org really considered a staging site?
>>> As far as I know, I cannot (easily) point a browser at it to make sure
>>> the output looks correct and such.    Maybe setup https on p.a.o to
>>> direct things like http://cxf.staging.apache.org
>>> to the appropriate /www dir?
>> Set your browser's proxy to p.a.o.  -- justin
>
> Interesting.   I learned something new.   :-)
>
> Kind of a pain that you have to reset browser settings and obviously wouldn't
> work if your already behind a proxy, but good to know.   Thanks!

Use a local proxy.pac file to automagically choose a proxy based on destination.  Example:

function FindProxyForURL(url, host)
        {
        if (shExpMatch(url,"cxf.staging.apache.org"))              {return "people.apache.org:3128";}
	else { return "DIRECT";}
	}

That else could also be an default local proxy like so:
	else { return "someotherproxy.com:3128";}

You define this in the "auto configuration url" setting in most browsers proxy config area.

If you already have to go out via a proxy, google "proxy chaining" to see how to make that
work.  There's different
tricks depending on what type of proxies are in use.

crr/arryder