From Paul Querna <p...@querna.org>
Subject Re: long term goal: reliable services for developers
Date Tue, 25 Aug 2009 09:03:02 GMT
On Tue, Aug 25, 2009 at 1:41 AM, Tony Stevenson<tony@pc-tony.com> wrote:

> On 25 Aug 2009, at 09:31, Jukka Zitting wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> On Sun, Aug 23, 2009 at 4:55 AM, Paul Querna<paul@querna.org> wrote:
>>>
>>>  7) TLP & www.apache.org Website Seeds (ease of access)
>>
>> Picking up one item that's been bugging me. The idea of deploying
>> sites directly from svn was already mentioned, and I'd also like to
>> simplify the ways in which projects can set up CI builds for site
>> deployment.
>
> The problem is that there are several methods of deployment at the moment.
>  i.e. XML->HTML (ala httpd) Confluence exports
> To rationalise these into one kind of site would be extremely difficult and
> ultimately a laborious task which I am not sure many folks will be all that
> willing to be involved in.
>
> For example to convert the httpd to confluence would not go down to well,
> due to the sheer size and nature of the content.
>
> The inverse is true too, I'm sure, for sites like the spamassassin,
> converting them to the xml->html (via ant) may not go down so well.

Exactly, there is not a one size fit all for websites, but I do
believe we can offer multiple options.

The only one currently available: Put static files onto
people.apache.org, and once an hour they get rsync'ed to the live
machines.

Adding direct subversion pulls, which would just map a path in
subversion -> path on live machines, and automatically sync them.
This is another option TLPs could consider for their site.

In the long run it would be nice to have an alternative file store,
like maybe a WebDav URL, which a TLP can push their static files to,
and it would be synced to all the web servers right away.  Maybe even
WebDAV backed by a replicated Subversion server :)

Thoughts?