From Kamaljit Bath <Kamaljit.B...@microsoft.com>
Subject Hosting Windows servers in Apache
Date Tue, 30 Jun 2009 22:47:05 GMT
Hi,

I am a committer on the Apache Stonehenge incubator project [1] that Microsoft is participating
in. We have had some discussions around hosting some Stonehenge related end-points on Apache
servers within the Stonehenge mailing list [2] which will need hosting a Windows Server.

Daniel Kulp, a mentor for Stonehenge, has discussed this with Joe and I want to follow-up
with some questions around what will it take to host Windows servers. I understand from Daniel
that this is on your future plans but would like to understand the prioritization better and
discuss if there is anything we can do to help expedite it.

At this point, I am simply trying to understand the issue from your point of view and based
on the information, will discuss with my other Microsoft colleagues if and how we may be able
to help and will get back to you with that thinking as soon as we have something to share.
I do not know at this point if we will have the resources to help with it or not but if I
can get an idea of what is involved, then I can lead those discussions within Microsoft.

Can you share if this is indeed in your this year's fiscal plan and if you have an ETA for
it? When does ASF's fiscal year end? What are the constraints that you are working against?

Here are some factors that Daniel thinks will play into your decision making. Can you shed
some light on these?

1) Hardware - need a high end x86 box with lots of memory.   This is a budget

matter.

- what kind of machine are you looking for and will it help if we can fund this? Can we partially
fund it to support you?

2) Software - VMWare server license, Windows Licenses, etc....

- we can certainly arrange for Windows and other Microsoft software licenses. Can we work
with Microsoft Hyper-V environment instead of VMWare (easier for us to arrange budgets for
that)? Can we build up a complete list of software requirements?

3) Power - There was some discussions a while ago about the rack we have running low on power
so adding machines may require another rack or something.

- how much is the budget constraint for this and what kind of help can we provide?

4) IP addresses - virtualization sucks up ip addresses.   :-)

- can you please elaborate? Is there anything we can do to help?

5) Time/Knowledge - the INFRA team is busy working on the LDAP transition and

getting that project done.     I'm not sure if anyone would have the time to

learn how to get the windows stuff setup and manage it, let alone actually doing it.

-    We can think about bringing some initial help to set everything up (remotely) and maintain
it for some time. But what will be your long-term maintenance plans? Will this machine also
be used for other Apache projects outside of Stonehenge? Who will maintain those environments?

Thanks and regards,

Kamaljit Bath

Principal Program Manager

Interoperability Strategy, Microsoft Corp.

[1] http://incubator.apache.org/stonehenge/
[2] http://www.mail-archive.com/stonehenge-dev@incubator.apache.org/msg01143.html