From Jukka Zitting <jukka.zitt...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: More GitHub Sync Lag
Date Thu, 25 Jun 2009 18:29:16 GMT
Hi,

On Thu, Jun 25, 2009 at 7:36 PM, Daniel Spiewak<djspiewak@gmail.com> wrote:
> Forgive my ignorance, but wouldn't the better approach to GitHub syncing be
> if your Git mirror script pushed not only to git.apache.org but also
> GitHub?  As far as your script is concerned, it's just another push that
> happens per commit, and as far as GitHub is concerned, it's just another
> worry-free repository.

Yes, something like that would be pretty trivial to set up on our side.

When I discussed this arrangement with the Github guys they preferred
a pull mechanism as (AFAIUI) they have some other mirroring setups
with similar scripting. Push-based updates were mentioned as something
we might want to do once everything is running smoothly.

I'm sure the Github people have their hands full with all sorts of
stuff, so I've tried to avoid pushing too much of our needs on their
plate. I assume they do their resourcing based on user demand more
than on upstream pressure, so the more people are cloning the
github.com/apache mirrors and asking for speedier updates, the more
inclined they'll be to ask for push updates from us. :-)

BR,

Jukka Zitting