From Paul Querna <p...@querna.org>
Subject Status of Version Control at the ASF
Date Mon, 27 Apr 2009 05:50:13 GMT
Culture: While we have over 70 TLPs, we have some shared values,
including that there are no single dictators in a community.  Through
the Incubator, we also bring in large chunks of new code, sometimes
into exist projects.  Code can and does move between TLPs.

Legal:  We require all significant contributions to be covered by an
iCLA or a cCLA.  We trust committers when they commit code that they
have the rights to commit that code.

Tech: With an infrastructure hat on, we want systems that preserve
data at all costs.  We want systems with long term maintainability and
supportive communities with volunteers who can help maintain it

What we have today:  Using Subversion we have a master server, and a
(transparent) slave system, distributed between the US and Europe.  We
also have read-only git-svn mirrors for many TLPs with updates
triggered by commit emails.

Going forward:
1) I believe we should keep a single canonical subversion system as
our version control for all TLPs.
   - The Subversion community has significant overlap with Apache, and
has been very supportive of us.  As a (centralized) version control
system, they will not be going away anytime soon, and are still
improving with every version.
  - We have a stable working infrastructure for backups,  notification
of changes, and a cultural model that is well understood and supported
by Subversion.
  - I believe there is significant value in all TLPs using the same
version control system, from the ability to audit where code came
from, to Incubating new projects, to infrastructure's ability to
support it

2) I believe we should continue adding and improving read-only
mirroring for other SCMs.
  - I am experimenting with adding Mercurial mirrors.  Hopefully have
something we can show off in a few weeks.

3) I believe we should encourage the improvement of dSCMs tools for
cross SCM work (git-svn, hgsubversion)
  - Need to hear more about 'git-svn issues'  and better understand
how to integrate these work flows.
  - I have filled a few upstream hgsubversion bugs so far, but it is
close to usable.
  - The tools are improving; Most can support commiting change sets
directly into a master Subversion repository, we should encourage and
develop workflows for committers around this.