From Tony Stevenson <t...@pc-tony.com>
Subject Re: LDAP - a simple script that may help with initial account creation
Date Sat, 04 Apr 2009 15:49:17 GMT

On 4 Apr 2009, at 13:05, sebb wrote:

> On 04/04/2009, chris <chris@ia.gov> wrote:
>> Sorry, server was down for a bit due to complications with my mail
>> archive
>> re-filtering project. (Oops)
>>
>> It's back up now and the script has some modifications requested by
>> Tony.
>> Added harvesting of uidNumber, gidNumber, homeDirectory and
>> extended the
>> objectclass to include posixAccount to accommodate those attributes.
>>
>> grab it here http://arreyder.com/pass2ldap.pl
>
> Is the user's public name going to be part of the LDAP database?
> If so, the /etc/passwd file is likely to be the best source, as users
> can correct this, unlike ICLAS.

Exactly.

> Also, note that the e-mail listed in ICLAS is often not the one used
> in the .forward file (and may not be accurate anyway, as some of the
> ICLAs are very hard to read).

We will use the mail address from .forward as that is the file we
honour for all userid@apache.org addresses.  Now some folks don't
forward their mail on, they collect it.  But that is ok too.
Folks are most likely to maintain this address as that is ultimately
the way they get to read their email.  :-)

>> I'll get a proper svn archive going in a bit.
>>
>> crr/arreyder

Cheers,
Tony

Tony Stevenson
tony@pc-tony.com  //  pctony@apache.org  // pctony@freenode.net
http://blog.pc-tony.com/

1024D/51047D66 ECAF DC55 C608 5E82 0B5E  3359 C9C7 924E 5104 7D66