From Kevin Menard <nirvd...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: git.apache.org commit histories being remapped
Date Sun, 29 Mar 2009 22:09:23 GMT
On Sun, Mar 29, 2009 at 4:49 PM, Jukka Zitting <jukka.zitting@gmail.com> wrote:

> We're trying to avoid hitting the main SVN server too heavily. The EU
> svn server has much more spare capacity, so the Git mirrors won't
> adversely affect performance when that server is used.

Yes, please pardon my ignorance.  My understanding is that the initial
import is really where the load problem and that the subsequent
updates are cheap (as costly as an "svn up" anyway).  If it is the
case, why can't the mirrors be mapped to use the primary SVN server
after the initial import from SVN?  If that's not the case, then won't
individual developers remapping the SVN server in the git repo cause
undue load on the primary SVN server?

I'm still coming to terms with how for n different repos, 1*n update
from the primary SVN server is heavier than k*n updates, where k is
the number of developers using the git repos.  k could be a function
of each repo to account for individual project load, but what's
important is that k >= 1 presumably, as each mirror has thus far been
requested by a developer.

Thanks for any additional clarification.

--
Kevin