From Jukka Zitting <jukka.zitt...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Subversion Server Plan
Date Mon, 30 Mar 2009 13:07:52 GMT
Hi,

On Mar 29, 2009, at 3:24 PM, Paul Querna wrote:
> - For git-svn / dcommit, have it hit git-master.apache.org directly,
> but try to avoid publishing this URL for most users. (thoughts?)

The mirrors at git.apache.org now publicly point to svn.apache.org but
internally use svn.eu.apache.org when pulling changes from svn. It's a
reasonably straightforward process to change the address of that
master svn server.

On Mon, Mar 30, 2009 at 8:25 AM, Paul Querna <paul@querna.org> wrote:
> Joe explained it much better than I could:
> """" The problem appears whenever someone wants to check-in a sequence
> of commits made with git and they're using a mirror for that purpose.
> They run git dcommit and that generates a bunch of svn transactions
> that basically look like svn commit, svn up, svn commit, svn up, etc.
> The svn up part chokes of course, because the mirror hasn't picked up
> the commit yet, causing git to throw an error and tell the user to
> "rebase".
> """"

I think we can (should) address that issue by educating users to keep
their offline commit sequences short. If you're online and you have
svn commit karma, there aren't many (any?) cases cases where it would
make sense to pile up more than a single local commit.

One notable issue with that is that creating and managing development
branches is much easier in git, which may be one reason why people are
opting to keep such branches in their git repositories and only
dcommit the changes to svn trunk once they're done. It would be useful
to document how to best interact with svn in such cases.

BR,

Jukka Zitting