From Jukka Zitting <jukka.zitt...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Git BOF at ApacheCon
Date Sun, 22 Mar 2009 23:39:54 GMT
Hi,

On Mon, Mar 23, 2009 at 12:09 AM, Grzegorz Kossakowski
<gkossakowski@apache.org> wrote:
> I arrive Monday's morning so I'd probably have enough time to prepare something
> to show like cloning, commiting, automatic synchronization but I've never attended
> to BarCamp and I have no idea how this could work.

Just float your ideas at the beginning of the Barcamp and let the
crowd help in scheduling them. Also, don't worry too much about
preparing everything in advance. You already have a lot of valuable
experience to share, so you'll do just fine by going with the flow.

> Additionally, I was thinking about presenting the idea of maintaining forks of Apache
> projects using tools like StGit or TopGit. I know that many companies are actually
> maintaining their internal forks with useful patches and I would like to show them
> how to do it a way that makes it much easier to share their changes and integrate
> them into codebase eventually. WDYT?

Sounds good to me; I know there are many people and places that do
stuff like that with varying results. Better tool support would be
very useful and I think Git is a big step forward for such use cases.

> PS. I promised to work on conversion script but as I said earlier my plans changed
> greatly. Depending on how I'll feel tomorrow after 4 hours of sleep I'll try to finish
it
> tomorrow.

OK, no problem. If things go well, the Barcamp will be pretty hectic
and covering lots of interesting stuff, so I wouldn't count on having
too much spare time to prepare anything much during it.

Let's meet at the Hackathon on Tuesday and see where we are then.

BR,

Jukka Zitting