From Grzegorz Kossakowski <gkossakow...@apache.org>
Subject Re: git.apache.org commit histories being remapped
Date Mon, 30 Mar 2009 20:14:46 GMT
Grzegorz Kossakowski pisze:
> Kevin Menard pisze:
>> On Sun, Mar 29, 2009 at 4:49 PM, Jukka Zitting <jukka.zitting@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> We're trying to avoid hitting the main SVN server too heavily. The EU
>>> svn server has much more spare capacity, so the Git mirrors won't
>>> adversely affect performance when that server is used.
>> Yes, please pardon my ignorance.  My understanding is that the initial
>> import is really where the load problem and that the subsequent
>> updates are cheap (as costly as an "svn up" anyway).  If it is the
>> case, why can't the mirrors be mapped to use the primary SVN server
>> after the initial import from SVN?  If that's not the case, then won't
>> individual developers remapping the SVN server in the git repo cause
>> undue load on the primary SVN server?
>
> I didn't understand that last question but I did understand rest of this paragraph so
I guess I can answer it meaningfully.

> My answer is: you as mirror user don't have to care from which svn server we are pulling.
You can configure your git svn
> instance to use whatever server you prefer. Have a look at rewriteRoot option for git
svn.

> Tomorrow I'm going to test if what I advise above really works and then I'm going to
update wiki page.

Unfortunately, it looks like I'm getting blocked by mod_dontdothat when using svn.apache.org
even for simple commit work.

See:
grek@linux-p3yg:~/tmp/git/cocoon> echo "TEST" >> test.txt
grek@linux-p3yg:~/tmp/git/cocoon> git add test.txt
grek@linux-p3yg:~/tmp/git/cocoon> git commit -m "Testing svn config. Ignore this."
[trunk f7b3ee7] Testing svn config. Ignore this.
 create mode 100644 test.txt
grek@linux-p3yg:~/tmp/git/cocoon> git svn dcommit
Committing to https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/cocoon/trunk ...
        A       test.txt
Committed r760142
Żądanie warstwy RA nie powiodło się: Serwer wysłał nieoczekiwaną wartość powrotną
(403 Forbidden) w odpowiedzi na
żądanie REPORT dla /repos/asf/!svn/vcc/default at /usr/lib/git/git-svn line 4294

We'll have to work on this a little bit more.

--
Best regards,
Grzegorz Kossakowski