From Grzegorz Kossakowski <gkossakow...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Improved email-update.sh
Date Thu, 12 Mar 2009 16:56:45 GMT
Jukka Zitting pisze:
> Hi,
>
> On Thu, Mar 12, 2009 at 2:43 PM, Jukka Zitting <jukka.zitting@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Tue, Mar 10, 2009 at 7:46 PM, Grzegorz Kossakowski
>> <gkossakowski@apache.org> wrote:
>>> Just pinging. Is there anything I can do so it gets reviewed or incorporated
into live config?

>>> I would like like to see how it's performing.
>> I've pulled your changes and I'm trying them out now.
>
> I converted the script to Perl (see below) to make it faster and more
> straightforward.

Hi Jukka,

I agree that your script is much better. Especially because you've used much more sane way
to find affected repositories.

However, I wonder if the script should inform whenever it encounters commit notification that
cannot be matched to any
of mirrored repositories.

> The script is now live, so anyone who wants to make the git mirror of
> a project automatically updated per each commit just needs to
> subscribe the git@jukka.zitting.name address to the relevant commit
> mailing list. Note that only moderators and admins can do this, as the
> git@ address won't automatically respond to the ezmlm subscribe
> confirmation requests.
>
> I'll do a similar setup also on git.zones.apache.org as soon as the
> mirrors have been migrated.

Ok, so if I'm going to contribute anything in the future I would prefer to produce something
that you don't feel like
rewriting it from scratch. ;-)
Thus I would ask if for any non-trivial cases you prefer perl scripts over bash ones?

For example, I've already found a detailed instructions[1] how to change paths from svn.eu.apache.org
to svn.apache.org
and was thinking about preparing a script doing that. I wanted to use bash as it seems to
me that this script will be
rather easy (a few seds should do it).

Would you prefer Perl script in such case? I must admit that I'm much more comfortable with
bash than perl but I have no
problem with learning it for that purpose.

[1] http://translate.org.za/blogs/wynand/en/content/changing-your-svn-repository-address-git-svn-setup

--
Best regards,
Grzegorz Kossakowski